Friday, February 15, 2008

Wah. Wah. Wah.

This has been a doozy of a week. In fact, it has felt a month-long. I have been sitting, staring at this blank post for about 5 minutes, trying to remember exactly what happened this week and when it even began. Never a good sign, my friends.

Despite summoning what is remaining of my mental strength, I cannot remember what I did Monday for the life of me. I know I was at work. That is all I've got.

Tuesday, I spent the day in the office and then drove out to Ontario to conduct witness interviews, starting at 9 p.m. (the plaintiff, her supervisor, and co-workers all work the night shift). I took the Bar in Ontario and (somehow) forgot how much is smells like cow manure. Oh, but I remembered on Tuesday night! It seems appropriate that the smell of animal feces reminds me of that hellish exam. But, I digress.

The HR manager and I interviewed six employees. over the course of five-and-a-half hours. I finally pulled my little car out of there at 2:30 a.m. and reached home by 3:45 a.m. I would complain about a late night, but I love witness interviews so much. So, I will still a happy (but tired) clam.

Wednesday was my Grandpa's 79th Birthday! Although I was swamped at work (and tired from the night before and waking up at 5:30 a.m.), I skipped out around 7 p.m. to meet my grandparents, sis, uncle, aunt, two adorable cousins, dad, and Josh at North Woods for dinner (my grandpa's fave). My grandpa's eyes were twinkly, and I could tell he was happy to have us all there. I have to admit, though, I kept cautiously eyeing both grandparents. They are still in good health but have been slowing down a bit lately. I do not like that. Not one bit.

After the birthday celebration, it was back to work on a tortuous deposition outline. I finally crawled into bed by 3:30 a.m. and was back up again at 5:30 a.m.

I should stop here and say: I am not one of those people who can sleep 3 hours a night and be cheerful and productive. I am the opposite of that. I need 8 hours (preferably 9!) or I am a grumpy, sluggish monster.

So, needless to say, I was less than charming on Valentine's Day. I was able, however, to sneak out a little early and go home and be with Josh, who made us a lovely, gnocchi dinner. I was probably the world's most boring dinner companion, constantly staring off and yawning. Bedtime was 8:30 p.m., so I am feeling much better today!

We didn't do any gifts on V Day because we are planning on buying some new furniture for the house! Woo hoo!! :) Josh did send me some gorgeous flowers, though, from my favorite florist, Jacob Maarse!

All in all, though, I am happy for the week to be over. I still have a pretty big hunk of work to do over the weekend, but I should be able to sleep in a bit. Oh, and my friend, Schwee, is coming to visit for a bit, so that should be fun!


dapotato said...

sorry about the killer week. yay for gnocchi, though!

i am a monster when sleep-deprived, too. :(

i know what you mean about the grandparents. :(

Winnie said...

Oh, I love gnocchi so so much.

H said...

Grumpy, sluggish monster = bad.

Happy Jenny with lots of sleep and beautiful flowers = good.

So glad the week ended on a high note :-)

Nanette said...

Oooooh, I need tons o' sleep, too. I can't function otherwise.

wan-nabe said...

i love north woods inn. cheese bread and salad...mmmmm.

amber said...

ew. what a long week :( hope this week starts looking up!

it really is sad when the g-parents start to age a bit. sounds like they're both still doing well, which is such a blessing. :)

R said...

I'm too old to recover from lack of sleep like that anymore. Yet another reason having another kid frightens me. I am glad your week ended on a high note. Totally deserved. :)