Thursday, January 10, 2008

Books, Art, and Noodles.

This week has been pretty tame. Work hasn't been overly demanding, and I have managed to make it home every evening at a decent-ish time (8 or so) and spend time with Josh. Last night, we even went for a two-mile walk around our neighborhood with the dogs, which was pleasant and relaxing.

Yesterday, I finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. (New Year's Resolution: Cut back a bit on TV watching and read more.) A Thousand Splendid Suns is a historical fiction that chronicles the lives of two women over the course of thirty-or-so years in Afghanistan. It was one of those books that picks you up out of your life and places you in a completely different world. Plus, I was surprised at how little I know about (and how much little thought I have given to) Afghani history and culture, which is somewhat shameful given recent events. The plot was rich and kept me engaged, although the stories are quite sad. Overall, it was one of the best books I've read in awhile.

This evening, Tater and the Monkey picked me up from work, and we went to the Murakami exhibit at the MOCA. The exhibit was great. I really enjoyed walking around and talking with Tater and the Monkey, both of whom are very funny and bright. Sadly, I have no pictures to show, but the Monkey was great about documenting the evening, and I suspect a picture-filled blog post will show up on her blog soon. After, we went to dinner. Now that I think of it, I cannot remember the name of the restaurant, but I had some spicy ramen with pork that was delish!

I am so excited that tomorrow is Friday! I will probably work a little over the weekend because I found out today that I am spending Sunday night through Wednesday night in San Jose. Luckily, a few other friends from work will be there for the same case. But for now ... bed.

9 comments:

dapotato said...

i had a wonderful time with you ladies!

Mrs. Shorty Cake said...

sounds like a good read! Booo, I still have not seen that exhibit yet! :(

wan said...

yay for work being less demanding for a bit!

*** said...

I'll have to add that title to my list... :)

weezermonkey said...

Great to see you. Alas, I have not yet blogged my contraband photos, but they shall appear some time this weekend. :)

amber said...

isn't it sad that getting home from work at a decent hour is 8ish? :(

i've read the kite runner (which i thoroughly enjoyed) and am just waiting for his second novel to be released in paperback. i'm glad to hear it's good too. :)

H said...

Kudos to you on your new year's resolution, although it is handy knowing just who to go to for a thorough discussion of trashy tv :p Ditto the comment that you should read Kite Runner, as well. It was amazing!

Angel @ loveandsplendor.com/blog said...

i need to follow suit and read more books for pleasure! kudos to you for finding the time! ;-) miss you; we are SO overdue for coffee or lunch!!

R said...

That sounds like a good plan. Read more watch TV less. Although I'd probably trade sleep for TV. ;)